The most successful and efficient active dust control systems start with robustly designed passive dust control features inherent in the equipment being controlled.
The approach to dust management for material handling systems shall follow a path of passive to active. All passive means shall be considered, applied and/or dismissed before the application of active dust control. By applying all passive means before active control, the following can be accomplished:
– Minimize the volume of combustible dust collected (unless collected specifically for process compliance)
– Minimize duct wear, especially in elbows
– Minimize filter bag wear and degradation
– Minimize rotary screw and airlock wear
– Minimize bag change out frequency
– Minimize the volume of water and chemical introduced for suppression